|Functions of NCEAC|
- Accreditation of programs
- Proposing policies, procedures for accreditation
- Administration of accreditation process
- Approval of the list of evaluators to participate in the process of accreditation of academic programs
- Constitution of Accreditation Inspection Council (AIC) for the evaluation of relevant academic programs for accreditation. AIC can make suggestions to NCEAC but final decision will be taken by NCEAC
- Decisions on the appeals with respect to accreditation actions
- Publishing a roster of Ranking of computing qualifications/programs
- Proliferating intellectual development and understanding of subject areas that impact accreditation activities in the computing profession
- Publishing criteria for teaching, tutelage in computing and its applications
- Program evaluator's selection
- Publishing and collection of any information regarding computer departments, its application in the industry
- Training and assessment of programs evaluators
- Assistance to academic institutions in planning their educational programs for accreditation
- Provide guidance for the amelioration of the existing educational programs and development of future programs leading to the computing profession
- To stimulate the improvement of computing education in Pakistan
- To develop Accreditation Policies and Processes
- To develop Guidelines and Procedures for Program Evaluators
- To develop Guidelines and Procedures for Programs and Institutions
- To develop Guidelines for Selection of Evaluators
- To identify and develop Guidelines for Ensuring "No Conflict of Interest"
- To develop Program Evaluator's Training Manual Self Study Questionnaire
- To develop Forms and Templates
- Collect information and statistics on accreditation of higher education of Computing and its respective Institutions as it may deem fit and may cause it published.
Higher Education Commission was constituted on 11th September, 2002 by the promulgation of Ordinance F. No. 2(1)/2002.Pub and has been authorized in article 3 Sub-Section (e) to set up national or regional evaluation councils or authorize any existing council or similar body to carry out accreditation of Institutions including their departments, faculties and disciplines by giving them appropriate ratings. The Commission shall help build capacity of existing councils or bodies in order to enhance the reliability of the evaluation carried out by them. So realizing the benefits and need of accreditation, the National Curriculum Revision Committee of Computer Science-2003, met in December 2003 and March 2004 at Higher Education Commission in Islamabad , recommended establishment of National Computing Education Accreditation Council (NCEAC) for accreditation of degrees in Computing in Pakistan .
|Purpose of foundation of NCEAC|
Computing has emerged as a major academic discipline and a professional field in Pakistan in the recent past. A large number of educational institutions offer degree programs in computing related areas both in public and private sectors. It has therefore become essential that an internationally acceptable and industrially viable set of criteria maybe evolved for various degree programs in computing related degree awarding institutions. For this purpose, it is proposed that an accreditation authority be setup which would periodically evaluate, scrutinize, and monitor the standards followed in different degree awarding institutions and their affiliated colleges.
The council will submit annual report on the state of accreditation of computing programs and its activities at the end of each year to the Controlling Authority.
The proposed authority shall take into consideration the following aspects for accreditation of degree programs in the computing related subjects:
- Overall scope and structure of the program
- The requisite infrastructure
- The faculty
- Level of compatibility with international standards and trends
- Level of Skill Development by the program
- Level of integration of science and technology
- The student support
- The laboratory facilities
- Facilities for student activities and other amenities
- Financial aid/assistance
- Level of job placement of graduates